Come join our team! Gimme! Coffee is a specialty coffee roaster/retailer founded in 2000, with locations in NYC and Ithaca, NY. Lead Baristas are responsible for creating an outstanding experience for all Gimme customers. Lead Baristas work individually and as part of a team to provide excellent customer service, prepare high quality beverages, carry out store operations, maintain a clean and pleasant store environment, and constantly seek to further their coffee knowledge and improve their skills.
The Lead Barista is also a store leader who helps coordinate store operations and serves as a role model for customer service, drink preparation, store cleanliness and organization, teamwork and respect. In addition, the Lead Barista assists with staff coaching and training, coffee quality feedback, inventory and admin tasks, initiatives to improve store performance, carrying out managerial duties when the Store Manager is unavailable, and other tasks as assigned by the Store Manager.
Summary of Key Responsibilities
- This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities, but collaborates with supervisor to coordinate daily work in the department.
- Acts as a role model for customer service, drink preparation, store cleanliness and organization, teamwork and respect.
- Acts as an on-the-floor leader, delegating tasks and ensuring efficient and effective operations.
- Carries out managerial duties when Store Manager is unavailable, and holds staff accountable for all tasks and job responsibilities.
- Helps facilitate and direct barista in-store training on store operations and drink preparation; provides on-going coaching to all staff as needed or requested by Store Manager and Regional Trainer.
- Provides excellent customer service; anticipates and responds to customer needs; proactively resolves customer concerns.
- Smiles at and makes appropriate eye contact with customers.
- Maintains a welcoming and pleasant cafe atmosphere.
- Expedites customer orders and line movement; takes orders and marks cups accurately; sets up drinks appropriately.
- Shows interest in coffee: asks questions, seeks further knowledge, and shares coffee knowledge with customers appropriately and articulately.
- Demonstrates knowledge of merchandise and pastries.
- Prepares and serves all beverages and supply recipes to standard, including espresso, bulk brew, manual brew, specialty drinks, and tea.
- Practices efficient workflow; keeps up bar and service speed.
- Remains calm and productive under pressure.
- Attends labs and cuppings with enthusiasm; participates, accomplishes learning objectives, and applies knowledge on bar.
- Stays familiar with coffee tasting notes; tastes coffee frequently and maintains knowledge.
- Works in a sanitary manner; practices personal cleanliness, proper handwashing and hand care, correct food handling, adherence to work attire policies, avoiding unsanitary habits and actions, and notifying supervisors of health issues and illness.
- Correctly and accurately handles cash, records paid-outs, and completes opening and closing cash drawer tasks.
- Carries out maintenance and cleaning procedures according to standards; seeks to organize, neaten, and beautify at all times. Shows initiative in seeking out and completing side-work tasks.
- Adheres to FIFO and follows company standards for stocking, rotating, storing, and merchandising products. Helps maintain a clean and organized back-stock/store-room.
- Upholds the values and mission of Gimme! Coffee.
- Follows all policies and procedures set by Gimme! Coffee
- Assists Store Manager with other tasks as requested, including projects and initiatives to improve store performance.
- Performs other duties as requested by supervisor. The Employer retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills: active listening, social perceptiveness, and service orientation (actively looking for ways to help people).
- Ability to work without direction and solve problems appropriately and independently.
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, adapt, and work efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
- Appreciation for coffee and ability to accurately distinguish different coffee tastes and aromas.
- Experience coaching, training, and developing others’ skill.
Experience, Education, and Training
- Minimum of one year of specialty coffee Barista experience strongly preferred
- Supervisory and/or training experience strongly preferred
To apply go to http://gimmecoffee.com/jobs
Gimme! Coffee is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, age, disability, religion, citizenship, national origin, ancestry, military status or veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, domestic violence victim status, predisposing genetic characteristic and genetic information, gender identity or expression, and any other status protected by law.