Come join our team! Gimme! Coffee is a specialty coffee roaster/retailer founded in 2000, with locations in NYC and Ithaca, NY. Baristas are responsible for creating an outstanding experience for all Gimme customers. Baristas work individually and as part of a team to provide excellent customer service, prepare high quality beverages, carry out store operations, maintain a clean and pleasant store environment, and constantly seek to further their coffee knowledge and improve their skills.
Summary of Key Responsibilities
• Provides excellent customer service; anticipates and responds to customer needs; proactively resolves customer concerns.
• Smiles at and makes appropriate eye contact with customers.
• Maintains a welcoming and pleasant cafe atmosphere.
• Expedites customer orders and line movement; takes orders and marks cups accurately; sets up drinks appropriately.
• Shows interest in coffee: asks questions, seeks further knowledge, and shares coffee knowledge with customers appropriately and articulately.
• Demonstrates knowledge of merchandise and pastries.
• Prepares and serves all beverages and supply recipes to standard, including espresso, bulk brew, manual brew, specialty drinks, and tea.
• Practices efficient workflow; keeps up bar and service speed.
• Remains calm and productive under pressure.
• Attends labs and cuppings with enthusiasm; participates, accomplishes learning objectives, and applies knowledge on bar.
• Stays familiar with coffee tasting notes; tastes coffee frequently and maintains knowledge.
• Works in a sanitary manner; practices personal cleanliness, proper handwashing and hand care, correct food handling, adherence to work attire policies, avoiding unsanitary habits and actions, and notifying supervisors of health issues and illness.
• Correctly and accurately handles cash, records paid-outs, and completes opening and closing cash drawer tasks.
• Carries out maintenance and cleaning procedures according to standards; seeks to organize, neaten, and beautify at all times. Shows initiative in seeking out and completing side-work tasks.
• Adheres to FIFO and follows company standards for stocking, rotating, storing, and merchandising products.
• Helps maintain a clean and organized back-stock/store-room.
• Upholds the values and mission of Gimme! Coffee.
• Follows all policies and procedures set by Gimme! Coffee
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Strong interpersonal and customer service skills: active listening, social perceptiveness, and service orientation (actively looking for ways to help people).
• Ability to work without direction and solve problems appropriately and independently.
• Ability to work individually and as part of a team.
• Ability to multi-task, prioritize, adapt, and work efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
• Appreciation for coffee and ability to accurately distinguish different coffee tastes and aromas.
Experience, Education, and Training
• Retail or customer service experience strongly preferred
• Specialty coffee experience preferred
• (NYC only) Food Handler’s Certificate or ability to secure it within first 60 days of employment
To apply go to: gimmecoffee.com/jobs
Gimme! Coffee is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, age, disability, religion, citizenship, national origin, ancestry, military status or veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, domestic violence victim status, predisposing genetic characteristic and genetic information, gender identity or expression, and any other status protected by law.